Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Reshuffle Your Priorities

So this journey...I must admit will have it's moment of frustration and impatience. Sometimes accomplishing a goal can be challenging at times. Slow and steady is not an option for many. Why? Because practicing patience isn't easy. Many of us prefer immediate and positive results, satisfaction. As we get older, we begin to realize the best things in life require time, patience and effort. We miss out on the important things, events, happenings, opportunities in life because we haven't prioritize what's important and valuable in our lives. Missing your child's birthday versus a telephone call. Placing your all your love, faith, time in a person and forgetting about giving thanks and praise to God for waking you up for that phone call. Priorities.
Can you prioritize these life categories in the order that is most important to you? 
  1. Creativity & Self-expression
  2. Love & Relationships
  3. Beliefs
  4. Education & Self-improvement
  5. Money
  6. Work & Career
  7. Health
  8. Home
  9. Family
I'm not certain of other responses but I can guarantee you health was not my #1 priority. When I review the list again, I have come to recognize and accept without good health the other categories are meaningless. How can I travel if I'm not in good health? How can I focus on education, relationships, and creativity without satisfactory health? Mind you good health includes physical, emotional, and social well-being. The maintenance of strong social relationships is linked to good health conditions, productivity, longevity, and a positive attitude.

Here are my "excuses" why it was so hard to begin this "journey" in the past....See if any are familiar
  • Friends, television, telephone
  • Emotional blocks-stress, anger, boredom, frustration
  • Illness
  • Lack of focus/concentration 
  • Procrastination- we all find a reason to put off 
They're all true everyday "excuses" I've used daily. None of those excuses have helped me achieve my goal of becoming healthy, physically fit. Today I  make the choice to re-prioritize. Although family is VERY important to me, achieving good health, is and should be more important to me. Today I begin my good health life change. Not only will this include a change to healthier eating habits and more exercise, but I will acknowledge one good thing about myself daily. I will give thanks that I have another day to smile, laugh and live. I encourage you to find one good thing about yourself and smile.  Not everyone is capable or honored to have the same unique gift or talent. Consider yourself special.

Acknowledge any achievement you accomplish. Whether it is a lost pound, acing a test, cooking a meal, reading a book, or getting in bed early for well needed rest, recognize that the achievement was accomplished... for your priorities have been reshuffled. Congratulations...

Until next time...Stillness and Serenity



Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

 

No comments:

Post a Comment